Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intense academic and enrichment program intended for African secondary school students intending to pursue higher education and who desire to make a significant impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will improve their academic abilities, get advice on university admissions and career path choices, and join a network of young leaders from throughout Africa.
Following the program, students will be connected with mentors who will assist them during the university admission process. There is no tuition fee for students to participate in YYAS.
YYAS 2022 will be an online program conducted from 20 July to 26 July 2022. Over the seven-day program, participants will use different online platforms, including Zoom, to participate in video seminars, lectures, and discussions.
All pertinent program information will be sent directly to accepted participants.
Requirements for Yale Young African Scholars – 2022
In order to apply to YYAS, candidates MUST meet all of the following requirements:
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old by application deadline (03 February 2022) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: You must be able to engage in a challenging academic program delivered in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African nation. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees residing in an African nation.
- School location: You must presently attend school in an African nation.
Grade Level: You must be a current 11th grade student (or the foreign equivalent) (or the international equivalent).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be completing secondary school by latest May/June 2023. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be completing secondary school by earliest November/December 2022 and no later than November/December 2023.
If you are presently in your last year or term of secondary school, have already completed secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
How to apply for the Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) – 2022
- Review the YYAS qualifying requirements.
- Review the YYAS application needed components.
- Also Review a PDF of an example blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.
- You will need to provide contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or authority at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to examine the PDF of an example blank application with you, and be sure to gather the information you need.
- Click APPLY NOW to start your YYAS application. Be careful to write down your email and password to use the application at a later time. The deadline to complete and submit the application is 03 February 2022 At 11:59pm EST.
- Check the “Review” page of the application to check if you are missing any necessary components, and re-visit any sections that require additional information.
- Once your application is complete, click on the “Review” page. Next click on the “Submit Application” button at the bottom of the page.
- Check your email for a YYAS confirmation receipt that confirms the successful submission of your application. Confirmation emails typically come between 24-48 hours after submission, owing to occasional delays payment processing.
- 3 February 2022
For More Information: