The Wits-TUB-UNILAG Urban Lab Programme is the result of a collaboration between the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), the University of Lagos (UNILAG), and the Technische Universität Berlin (TUB) (TUB).
This cooperation aims to help the continent of Sub-Saharan Africa achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of 2015 and the New Urban Agenda (NUA) of 2016.
The New Urban Agenda (NUA), in particular, advocates for “Urban Paradigm Shift” which includes integrated approaches to urban planning and administration. It acknowledges the need for institutional capacity building as a key “enabling condition.”
The Wits-TUB-UNILAG Urban Lab contributes through a ‘Postgraduate SDG School,’ which is an enhancement of postgraduate training offered in Wits’ School of Architecture and Planning (a leading university on the continent), in collaboration with TUB’s Habitat Unit and UNILAG’s Centre for Housing and Sustainable Development.
The Wits-TUB-UNILAG Urban Lab initiative is financed by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) of the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) from 2016 to 2020. The program’s duration has been extended from 2021 to 2025.
Scholarship Worth of Wits-TUB-UNILAG Urban Lab 2022
Scholars from throughout the subcontinent may study for a Master of Urban Studies in the area of Urban Management at Wits, as well as a Ph.D. at both Wits and UNILAG, thanks to the program.
In 2021, UNILAG will launch a new master’s degree in urban management with financial assistance from the program. Beyond cooperation around the respective urban management master’s programs at TUB, Wits, and UNILAG, the initiative aims to promote the worldwide exchange of ideas across research institutions and to enhance the African continent’s network of urban academics.
- South Africa
- Project Coordination– The Wits-TUB-UNILAG cooperation is built on the concept of eye-level interaction and equal involvement by the three academic partner institutions.
- Exploring, testing, and implementing innovative digital techniques and tools for collaborative teaching and research in the area of postgraduate education across the three universities with the goal of leveraging continuing developments in digital environments to extend collaboration boundaries.
- Strengthening inter-and transdisciplinary postgraduate education in the area of urban management at African planning institutions, as well as practice-oriented postgraduate education.
- Ph.D. training will continue to be a key emphasis of the Wits-TUB-UNILAG Urban Lab, which will be embedded in structured collaborative postgraduate capacity development programs.
- For a successful academic career, mentoring and capacity development are essential.
- Developing inter-and transdisciplinary knowledge in the areas of resilience, urban justice, and solidarity in the context of urban transitions toward the SDGs.
- Building networks that connect research, policy, and practice.
How to Apply
Follow the official link to get full information about the scholarship.
- 31 October, 2021.
Recommended for you:
- Berkeley’s International Undergraduate Prize for Architectural Design Excellence (USD$ 35,000 Prize) – 2022
- Korean Government Scholarship Program for Undergraduate study in South Korea (Fully Funded) – 2022
- Kaduna State Scholarship 2021: Eligibility and How to Apply
- Kebbi State Scholarship: Eligibility and How to Apply in 2021
- Kogi State Scholarship Application Portal for 2021/2022