University of Sussex PhD Studentship on the ATLAS Experiment at in UK 2022
The University of Sussex in the United Kingdom is accepting applications for a PhD Studentship on the ATLAS experiment for the academic year 2022/23.
The Sussex ATLAS group is a pioneer in the quest for BSM physics in SUSY models (Electroweak Supersymmetry).
The selected candidate for this project will lead the search for SUSY particles in ATLAS data, with a focus on SUSY particle generation through Vector Boson Fusion (VBF) and Initial State Radiation (ISR).
These events are distinguished by final states with two taus, one or two jets, and missing energy resulting from SUSY particle decay, and are expected to have competitive sensitivities for SUSY searches in Run-3 of the Large Hadron Collider (expected to begin in Spring 2022), as well as at the future High-Luminosity LHC (HL-LHC).
The student will use new data science approaches (ML, MVAs, etc.) and/or find new variables, as well as research potential new analytic triggers.
Aside from data analysis, the student will be involved with ATLAS Detector operations through working on the ATLAS Trigger system.
During Run 3 of the ATLAS experiment, the student will work on the development, testing, and commissioning of trigger algorithms or trigger scale factors with the Sussex group, which is leading the ATLAS Inner Detector (ID) trigger system and has a major involvement in the ATLAS Electron/Photon Trigger (EGamma).
Additional financial assistance is available to cover both short- and long-term travel.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed in February and March, with interviews continuing until all jobs are filled.
Self-funded students interested in various projects are encouraged to apply at any point throughout the year.
Worth of Award
- Tuition costs are paid in full for the next three and a half years.
- A three-and-a-half-year tax-free stipend for living expenses. This is estimated to be £15560 per year starting in October 2021/22.
- A three-and-a-half-year assistance grant of £1,650 each year for travel and conferences.
University of Sussex PhD Studentship Requirements
- Applicants must have or expect to have a UK upper second class degree (or a non-UK equivalent qualification) in Physics or a closely related field, or a lower second class degree followed by a comparable Master’s degree.
- This scholarship is accessible to students from the United Kingdom and throughout the world.
How to Apply for University of Sussex PhD Studentship
- Use the Sussex online application system to submit your application.
- Choose the PhD in Physics with a September 2022 start date.
- Declare that you want to be considered for studentship no. EPP/STFC/03/2021 in the Finance & Fees section.
Deadline: applications close January 31, 2022
Recommended for You:
- Karolinska Institutet Global Masters Scholarships for African Students in Sweden 2022
- Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships 2022
- UK Government GREAT Scholarships 2022
- University of Warwick Chancellor’s International Scholarship 2022
- EJ Josey Scholarship Award for African Americans 2022
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships 2022