University of Copenhagen PhD Fellowship in Denmark 2022
The University of Copenhagen PhD Fellowship Department of Biology is offering a PhD post in primate evolution beginning August 1, 2022, or as soon as feasible afterward.
ILS (incomplete lineage sorting) is an evolutionary phenomenon that occurs often during rapid speciation, in which ancestral polymorphisms are randomly fixed in derived lineages.
ILS has a big influence on the speciation process and may make phylogenetic inference difficult.
It’s one of the main reasons why the gene tree and species tree aren’t in sync. Many species that suffer fast radiation, such as birds, marsupials, and large apes, have been reported to have ILS.
It has already been shown that at least 15% of human genetic sequences are more closely linked to gorillas than chimps, indicating that the ILS might have a significant influence on human evolution.
By comparing the skeletal morphology of primates and doing an association analysis with the ILS evolution pattern on genes, we will investigate the functional consequences of the ILS on human morphology evolution.
The successful applicant for this post will conduct bioinformatic analysis to discover the ILS signal in great apes and infer functional implications by combining functional genomic data that has been made available.
In addition, the applicant will conduct bioinformatic analysis on the skeletal and anatomical data of great apes in order to estimate the probable effects of the ILS on morphology.
Responsibilities and tasks in both Ph.D. programs
- Complete and pass the MSc education according to the MSc program’s curriculum.
(Only if you are enrolled in the combined MSc and Ph.D. program)
- Under supervision, do an individual research project.
- Complete PhD courses (about 30 ECTS / 12 FTE)
- Participate in active research settings, which may include a stay at another research institution, ideally overseas.
- Activities involving teaching and knowledge distribution
- Prepare scientific articles for publication in high-impact journals.
- On the basis of your project, write and defend a PhD thesis.
Worth of Award
- According to an agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations, PhD students are given a wage (AC).
- Before taxes, the pay range begins at DKK 27.593 per month.
- Without extra income, the PhD student has a labor commitment of up to 840 hours over the course of three years. Work responsibilities may include, for example, teaching.
University of Copenhagen PhD Fellowship Requirements
You must have completed a degree program equal to a Danish master’s degree (180 ECTS/3 FTE BSc + 120 ECTS/2 FTE MSc) in a subject area linked to the topic, such as evolution, paleontology, or comparative anatomy, to be eligible for the standard PhD program.
The credentials they are seeking are as follows:
- Relevant professional credentials for the PhD project
- Publications that are relevant
- Work experience that is relevant
- Other professional tasks that are relevant
- A curious intellect with a keen interest in the development of morphology
- Ability to communicate well in English, both orally and in writing
How to Apply for University of Copenhagen PhD Fellowship
- For this PhD assignment, I’ve written a motivational letter of application (max. one page)
- Curriculum vitae, which should include information about your education, experience, language abilities, and other necessary skills for the job.
- Original Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, as well as transcripts of records in the original language, with an approved English translation if awarded in a language other than English or Danish. If a certified/signed copy of a recent transcript of records or a written statement from the institution or supervisor is not available, a certified/signed copy of a recent transcript of records or a written statement from the institution or supervisor will suffice.
- a list of publications (if possible)
- Letters of recommendation (if available)
University of Copenhagen PhD Fellowship Deadline
Deadline: Applications must be submitted online no later than December 31, 2021, 23:59 CET
Recommended for You:
- Boston University Merit Scholarships for International Students 2022
- Calboonya Legacy Computer Science Scholarship 2022
- University of Europe for Applied Science Scholarships, Germany 2022
- Cambridge Trust Scholarship Awards 2022
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships 2022
- Berkeley Law School Scholarships and Fellowships in USA 2022
- Japan Rotary Yoneyama Scholarship for International Students 2022