This is to inform young scientists from developing countries that the Postgraduate fellowship programme has started receiving applications.
TWAS and the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences in Kolkata, India have agreed to offer fellowships to young foreign scientists from developing countries who wish to pursue research towards a Ph.D. in physical sciences.
TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences in Kolkata, India for studies leading towards a Ph.D. degree in the physical sciences for four years with the possibility of a one-year extension.
The Centre carries out the following research activities:
Linear and Non-linear spectroscopy, Ultrafast molecular processes and spectroscopy, Ultrafast dynamics in biological macromolecules and magnetization, Ultrafast laser-induced processes, Soft condensed matter systems of chemical and biological interests, mesoscopic physics, ionic liquids, multi-component liquid mixtures, supercooled melts, supercritical fluids, bio-nano interface, nano-magnetism, magnonic crystals, micromagnetic simulations, Nanomaterials in general, and Physics of Correlated oxides, low dimensional systems, magnetic shape memory alloys, dilute magnetic semiconductors, multi-ferroic materials, thin films of metals and oxides, electronic, magnetic and structural properties of complex materials, superconductivity, strongly correlated electronic systems, quantum many-body physics, micromagnetic and Monte Carlo simulation of static and dynamic properties of nanomagnets, theoretical study of thermal conductivity, Ab initio plane-wave pseudo-potential calculation, strongly correlated electron systems, electronic structure and transport through nano-materials.
Quantum field theory, mathematical physics, cognitive science, granular physics, non-commutative quantum mechanics, statistical physics, non-linear dynamics, turbulences, lattice gauge theories, representation theory of lie groups and coherent states, quantum optics, black holes, constrained dynamics, quantum gravity, quantum spin systems, collective behavior and emergent phenomena, explosive percolation, complex networks, and critical phenomena.
Cosmology, Relativistic Astrophysics, ionospheric science, Astrochemistry.
Applicants may be registered for a Ph.D. degree in their home country (SANDWICH option) or may enroll in a Ph.D. course at the S.N. Bose National Centre (FULL-TIME option).
In both cases, the programme entails only one journey to the host country.
Admission to the Ph.D. programme at the S.N. Bose National Centre will depend on the successful completion of coursework (about one year’s duration).
Eligibility Requirements for TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship
Here are the required eligibility requirements for any applicants who wish to apply for the TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship Programme:
- Applicant must not be older than 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- You must be nationals of a developing country (other than India);
- You must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country;
- The candidate may hold a Masters’s Degree in physics, mathematics, or physical chemistry. S/He must have completed at least a total of 5 years of undergraduate and postgraduate studies in a recognized university or institute.
- Be accepted by a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre.
Prospective applicants are advised to visit the S.N. Bose National Centre’s website www.bose.res.in.
Requests for acceptance must be directed to the Dean (Academic Programme), S.N. Bose National Centre for Sciences by e-mail ([email protected]) or fax: (+91) 33 2335 3477.
In contacting the Dean (Academic Programme), applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with a copy of their CV, a research proposal outline, and two reference letters.
- present evidence of proficiency in English, if the medium of education was not English;
- present proof that you will return to your home country on completion of the fellowship;
- You are not permitted to take up other assignments during the period of fellowship;
- Applicant must be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- Physical chemistry
You must have completed at least a total of 5 years of undergraduate and postgraduate studies in a recognized university or institute.
- Postgraduate fellowship programme
Here is the benefit of the TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship Programme:
- S.N. Bose will provide a monthly stipend to cover living costs and food.
- The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- Free on-campus accommodation will be provided.
- Your monthly stipend does not cover comprehensive health insurance.
- The Centre does however deduct a small contribution towards a Contributory Medical Scheme.
- The benefits are partial reimbursement of Doctor’s fees, medicines and/or hospitalization costs, if any, and only for costs incurred in Kolkata.
- The reimbursement structure is along the lines of the Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) of the Government of India.
The S.N. Bose Centre does not provide comprehensive health or medical insurance to its staff or students.
All SN Bose-TWAS fellows must have their own “Medical Insurance” before joining the programme to cover medical emergencies.
The language of instruction is English.
Location to be taken:
How to Apply for TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship Programme.
- Applicants can start the application process here
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from a department of the S.N. Bose National Centre when applying, or by the deadline at the latest.
Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted via the online portal.
A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolios.
Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes.
One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
Application Deadline for TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship
The deadline for receipt of applications is 31 May 2022.
- International Excellence Scholarships at Khazar University – Azerbaijan (2021)
- Zamfara State Scholarship 2021 [Apply Now]
- NNPC/SNEPCo National University Scholarship 2021
- NLNG SIWES Application 2021 – NLNG Internship [Apply Now]