The Best University in Ghana 2022
In this article, I’ll share with you the Best University in Ghana 2022 read on.
Are you new in Ghana and in search of the best university to further your studies?
Did you just migrate to Ghana, and are you in need of the best University there?
Don’t panic, because I did all the research for you.
Ghana is a country along the Gulf of Guinea and the Atlantic Ocean, in the subregion of West Africa.
Spanning a land mass of 238,535 km2 (92,099 sq mi).
However, the climate of Ghana is tropical, and there are two main seasons.
The wet season and the dry season.
Ghana practice unitary presidential constitutional democracy with a parliamentary multi-party system.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) and the New Patriotic Party (NPP) are the two dominating parties in Ghana.
However, the Ghanaian education system is divided into Basic Education, secondary cycle, and tertiary education. “Basic Education” lasts 11 years (ages 4‒15).
Ghana is one of the most peaceful countries in Africa also studying in this country ain’t a bad idea at all.
University of Ghana
Founded in 1948 as ‘University College of the Gold Coast’ – an affiliated college of the University of London.
The University of Ghana is now the oldest and largest of Ghana’s 10 public universities.
After independence in 1957, the college was renamed the University College of Ghana.
It changed its name again to the University of Ghana in 1961 when it gained full university status.
However, the University is situated on the West view of the Accra Legon hills and northeast of the center of Accra.
The University now has various schools, institutions, colleges, and departments and it’s also home to over 40,000 students.
The West African Commission of the Asquith Commission on Higher Education in the Colonies under the chairmanship of Rt. Hon. Walter Elliot was the birth of this notable institution in 1948.
The commission recommended the setting up of university colleges in association with the University of London.
Thus, the University College of the Gold Coast was founded by Ordinance on 11 August 1948 for the purpose of providing for and promoting university education, learning and research.
However, this was made possible by the rejection of the first recommendation which stated that only one university college was feasible for the whole of British West Africa.
Which would be located in Nigeria by the people of Gold Coast led principally by Dr. J. B. Danquah.
In October 1961 the University College of Ghana attained sovereign university status.
It was also assigned the mandate by an act of Parliament to award its own degrees.
Office of the Chancellor
Mrs. Mary Chinery-Hesse is the current Chancellor of the University.
She was duly elected as Chancellor and subsequently inducted into office on Wednesday, August 1, 2018, at a Special Congregation of the University held in the Great Hall.
College of Health Sciences
There are six Schools and one Research Institute under this college.
- School of Medicine and Dentistry
- School of Biomedical and Allied Health Sciences
- School of Nursing, located on the Legon campus though its students receive practical training at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Public Health
- School of Education and Leadership
- Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research
- Centre for Tropical, Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics
College of Basic and Applied Sciences
There are five Schools, six Centres (3 research-based), and two Institutes under this college.
- School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Agriculture
- School of Engineering Sciences
- School of Veterinary Medicine
- Livestock and Poultry Research Centre (LIPREC)
- Soil and Irrigation Research Centre (SIREC)
- Forest and Horticultural Research Centre (FOHCREC)
- Biotechnology Centre
- West African Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI)
- West African Centre for Cell Biology and Infectious Pathogens (WACCBIP)
- Institute of Environment and Sanitation Studies
- Institute of Applied Sciences and Technology
Starting from the 2014/2015 academic year, the University of Ghana adopted the collegiate system.
Currently, there are four colleges which are:
- College of Basic and Applied Sciences
- College of Humanities
- College of Education
- College of Health Sciences
There are five faculties outside the above Colleges and they include:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Social Studies
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Engineering Sciences
According to the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR), The University of Ghana ranks at 1172.
I’m glad you now know the Best University in Ghana, please kindly drop your thoughts in the comment box below.
- The Best University In North Africa
- Babcock University School Fees, Courses, and Admission Process.
- List of Polytechnics in Nigeria
- Difference Between Faculty and Department in University?