SOAS Leverhulme Research Leadership Award PhD Studentship in London 2022
The School of Oriental and African Studies, SOAS is accepting applications for a PhD studentship in London in 2022 as part of the SOAS Leverhulme Research Leadership Award.
The project aspires to offer a ground-breaking, comprehensive, and contextualized knowledge of the written and intellectual traditions of Islamic South East Asia in the 18th and 19th centuries, using archives gathered through the colonial-era collection and those still in situ in Sumatra. It will examine the surviving manuscripts as books entrenched in libraries as part of a certain social and intellectual environment, rather than as separate texts.
Three case studies are the subject of this project:
- The British plundered the Palembang royal library in 1812, and the Dutch seized it in 1821, scattering its contents among institutional collections in numerous nations;
- Endangered Archives Programme (EAP) 144 digitized religious school libraries in the Minangkabau highlands; and EAP 144 digitized personal libraries from Aceh (EAP 329).
Worth of Scholarship
- Two fully financed MPhil/PhD scholarships are available via the initiative.
Requirements for the SOAS Leverhulme Research Leadership Award PhD Studentship
The proposed PhD study must concentrate on an in-depth investigation of material from at least one of the case studies listed above, as well as contribute to the project’s broader goals.
The following are the minimum entrance requirements:
- An excellent Master’s degree (or its equivalent in another country) in a relevant area (for example, literary, historical, cultural, philological, or Islamic studies of insular Southeast Asia);
- Advanced Malay/Indonesian language skills (other related languages, such as Arabic, Acehnese, Minangkabau, or Javanese, are also appreciated);
- Experience with archive material, particularly Jawi manuscripts, and digital humanities approaches to archives, or a desire to learn more about these topics;
- A desire to collaborate as part of a bigger research team and contribute to the project’s overall goals.
How to Apply for the SOAS Leverhulme Research Leadership Award PhD Studentship
The online application for the SOAS Leverhulme Research Leadership Award may be found here.
Deadline: Scholarship applications must be submitted no later than April 30, 2022, at 23:59 (GMT).
For more information and to apply, go here.
Recommended for You
- Research Proposal PhD Scholarship at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz 2022
- 2022 International Scholarships at IE University – Spain
- GIC/GIC Mendaki Scholarships for Foreign Students to Study in Singapore 2022
- Glenmore Medical Online Postgraduate Scholarship at Uni of Edinburgh in UK 2022
- Georgia Government Scholarships 2022 | Funded
- Special Scholarship Program (SSP) at Kochi University of Technology in Japan 2022
- Chappell and White PhD Scholarship at Australian National University 2022
- JUST Scholarships for International Students in China 2022
- Vytautas Magnus University Scholarships for Study in Lithuania 2022
- INTO Newton Scholarships at University of East Anglia – UK, 2022