For the academic year 2022/23, Trinity College in Dublin is accepting applications for the IRC-SFI Pathway PhD Scholarship.
Based on manuscripts from the oldest layer of Irish writing, the study investigates early Irish paleography and writing systems (550-900). Its goal is to contribute to a better knowledge of the writing processes employed in early Irish scriptoria, as well as to allow for more reliable dating of early manuscripts through a better understanding of variances in Irish script. It also sets the foundation for future study into Irish-Continental writing.
Worth of Scholarship
The award includes a yearly salary of €18,500, as well as a travel budget and a €5,750 fee contribution.
IRC-SFI Pathway PhD Scholarship | Eligibility Criteria
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A Master’s degree/diploma (granted or pending) or foreign equivalent (German Staatsexamen, etc.) in a relevant academic field (relevant fields include, but are not limited to).
- Classics, Early Irish, Medieval Studies, History, Manuscript Studies, Digital Humanities, and Celtic Studies are only a few examples.)
- Evidence of a thorough understanding of Latin
- Excellent mastery of the English language (as required by Trinity).
- Evidence of participation in
- research on manuscripts
- paleography (Latin and/or insular) in the Middle Ages
- Demonstration of Digital Humanities expertise
- It’s also a plus if you know how to read German.
How to Apply for the IRC-SFI Pathway PhD Scholarship
The documents listed below are necessary.
- A motivation letter describing your approach to the study issue.
- Two recommendation letters
- All degrees need certified academic transcripts.
- For all degrees, certified degree certificates are available.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae
- A writing sample (an academic essay, an article, a dissertation chapter, or anything similar)
The IRC-SFI Pathway PhD Scholarship application deadline is 5 p.m. on Monday, June 6, 2022.
For more information and to apply, go here.
Recommended for You