The Harvard GSD Wheelwright Prize 2022 is now accepting applications.
The Wheelwright Prize promotes novel architectural research with the potential to have a substantial effect on the architectural debate.
They are looking for accomplished but emerging individuals who are resourceful and risk-takers, and who can take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to advance a research project that will have a significant impact on his or her own professional development as well as the discipline of architecture as a whole.
The winner of the Wheelwright Prize will receive:
- A $100,000 reward will be awarded to help fund the suggested research endeavor.
- Invitation to give a talk at Harvard’s Graduate School of Design
- Possibility of having research published in a Harvard GSD journal
Harvard GSD Wheelwright Prize Requirements
- Early-career architects from all around the globe are welcome to apply.In the last 15 years, the applicant must have graduated from a professionally certified architectural degree program. (For the 2022 cycle, use the following formula:
- Graduates who graduated before January 2007 are not eligible.) Multiple degree holders are eligible to apply if their professional degrees were earned between January 2007 and January 2022. It is not necessary for applicants to be registered or licensed.
- Applicants must not have previously earned an Arthur Wheelwright Traveling Fellowship.
- The Wheelwright Prize winner may not hold any other fellowships at the same time.
- Individuals alone are eligible for the Wheelwright Prize; teams or businesses will not be considered.
- Faculty, lecturers, and employees at Harvard GSD are not eligible.
- Winners from the United States will have to do some study outside of the nation.
- The Wheelwright Prize is for independent study only, and it cannot be used to pay for university tuition. The grant, on the other hand, may be used to cover the costs of workshops and conferences.
Application for Harvard GSD Wheelwright Prize
Applicants will be asked to submit the following:
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Portfolio (maximum of ten photographs); each uploaded file should only include a single image, not numerous images scattered out. Each photograph must be labeled and dated. Personal work that exhibits design aptitude will be considered by the judges; student projects may be included. If the work is collaborative and/or created by a company, the applicant’s contribution must include conceptual development and/or design, and the applicant’s position must be clearly defined.
- Published articles or research papers authored by the candidate may be included in the portfolio. Authored works should be presented in their original format, with the title and date of publication clearly specified (maximum 3, each clipping to be saved as a separate PDF). Please provide an English-language synopsis (maximum 2,500 characters) as an appendix to each PDF if the original publication was not written in English. Please generate a compact PDF (no more than 10 pages) with a cover, sample pages, and a concise synopsis (2,500 characters) of the content if the clipping is more than 15 pages.
- A written description of the research project is being suggested (maximum 6,000 characters). The connection of the planned research to the present field of architecture should be articulated by the applicants. What are the research project’s ramifications? What influence may it have on practice? Applicants should detail their suggested technique as well as any unique knowledge, talent, or skill needed to carry out their proposal. Strong bids will explain how the Wheelwright Prize’s resources will help the project succeed.
- Three professional recommendations list (full name, affiliation, contact information, and relationship to the applicant). At this time, letters are not necessary.
Harvard GSD Wheelwright Prize Deadline
Recommended for You:
- Great Minds Student Internships at IBM Research in Africa and Switzerland 2022
- UN Internship Program 2022
- EPFL Summer Internship in Switzerland 2022
- International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) Communications Internship 2021
- Scripps Howard Foundation Fellowship Program 2022
- Female Design Council Grant for Female Designers and Architects 2022
- Online News Association Women’s Leadership Accelerator 2022
- The Roux Prize for Health Innovations Worldwide 2022