Some people wonder if there is a difference between oxycontin and oxycodone.
Are the medicines the same?
Is oxycodone just a generic term for oxycontin?
These questions, as well as other differences between the two, will be addressed:
- Oxycodone hydrochloride is a kind of opioid pain reliever. It can be found in a number of prescription drugs. When it is available on its own, it is in the form of oxycontin. Oxycodone is also found in conjunction with other ingredients in a variety of prescription drugs, such as Percocet.
- The primary difference between the two is the commencement of the action. Oxycontin is a time-released medication. This means that it works over a period of time. Oxycodone medications are typically taken every four to six hours. Oxycontin, on the other hand, works for at least 12 hours. That is why it should only be taken twice a day.
- You may see publications that refer to oxycodone as the generic name for oxycontin since it is the active ingredient in the drug. However, it would be inaccurate to say so since oxycodone is also an active ingredient of other drugs. Most experts prefer to refer to oxycontin as oxycodone extended-release.
- The two drugs are made in different ways. Though oxycontin includes more oxycodone, it is also prepared in such a way that the medicine is released gradually into the bloodstream. Hence, even if the dose is large, the drug is released slowly into the bloodstream. Oxycodone is often used in combination with other chemicals in medicines like Percocet.
- In the case of oxycontin, the implications of overdose are more severe. Due to the high concentration of oxycodone, a lack of sustained release may have serious effects on the patient. This is particularly true for new users. The dangers become clearer when addicts tear open the capsule and snort it.
- A common issue with fast-acting pain relievers is that they become almost ineffective within a few hours. The activity peaks in a few minutes and then fade away in a few hours. Oxycontin seeks to eliminate this problem by using a sustained release.
Summary of the Difference Between Oxycontin and Oxycodone
- Oxycontin is oxycodone that is released over time. It is pure oxycodone, with no additives.
- Oxycodone may be effective for up to 6 hours. However, oxycontin is also effective for around twelve hours. This is due to the medication’s delayed absorption into the body.
- Oxycodone may include other substances, such as Tylenol, which might cause vomiting if taken in excessive quantities. However, since oxycontin does not contain this substance, it becomes more dangerous when used in large quantities.
- Oxycontin should never be crushed and consumed. If taken in this way, it could lead to serious and even fatal side effects.
- There is no decrease in oxycontin effectiveness over the entire period.
Recommended for you