Commonwealth PhD Scholarships for full-time doctoral study at a UK university (Fully Funded) – 2022/2023
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships are available for full-time doctorate study at a UK institution for applicants from Commonwealth least developed nations and fragile states.
To fund research that will have a developmental effect on Commonwealth countries and therefore contribute to the development requirements of those countries.
With these grants, Commonwealth nations will be able to improve their academic and other sectors’ institutional capacities while also recruiting high-calibre foreign applicants and fostering cooperation. This will benefit UK higher education and research.
Students who have the ability to do world-class developmental research and become important leaders, instructors, or researchers in their native countries are the intended beneficiaries.
The Commonwealth PhD Scholarships are funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) and are targeted at people who cannot otherwise afford to study in the UK to acquire the knowledge and skills needed for sustainable development.
Requirement for Commonwealth PhD Scholarships – 2022/2023
To be eligible to apply for these awards, you must:
- You must be a citizen of an eligible Commonwealth nation or have received refugee status therefrom, or be a British Protected Person.
- Have a home in a Commonwealth nation that qualifies.
- The UK academic year will commence in September 2022, therefore you must be able to begin your academic studies there by that date.
- Have an upper second class (2:1) honours degree by September 2022, or a second class (2:2) and an appropriate postgraduate certificate (typically a Master’s degree) by September 2022. A second UK Master’s degree is not usually funded by the CSC. If you want to pursue a second Master’s degree in the UK, you must explain why you want to do so.
- Before September/October 2022, you must NOT be enrolled for a PhD or an MPhil leading to a PhD in a UK university or in your country of origin.
- Have no other way of paying for your education if you do not get this scholarship.
- All supporting documentation has been supplied in the necessary format.
Please note that only candidates from the eligible countries listed below can apply for Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for least developed countries and fragile states) in 2022.
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- The Gambia
Scholarship Worth of Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2022
- Approved round-trip airfare from your home nation to the United Kingdom and back at the conclusion of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor the cost of journeys made before your award is confirmed)
- Tuition costs that have been approved
- Stipend (living stipend) of £1,133 per month for students attending institutions in the London metropolitan region, or £1,390 per month for those attending universities outside of London (rates quoted at 2021-2022 levels)
- Allowance for warm clothes, if applicable
- Study travel grant to help with the costs of study-related travel in the UK or abroad.
- Where authorized, a contribution towards the cost of fieldwork conducted abroad (the cost of one economy class return flight to your research destination).
- Paid mid-term visit (ticket) to your home country (unless you have claimed (or plan to claim) spouse and/or kid allowances or have received a return airfare to your home country for fieldwork)
- Allowances for families, as follows (rates based on 2021-2022 levels):
- If you’re traveling with your spouse but no children, you’ll be eligible for a spouse allowance of £244 a month for a maximum of nine months if you and your spouse live at the same address in the UK (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship; other conditions also apply)
- If your husband and children live with you at the same location in the UK, you will get a spouse allowance of £244 per month and a child allowance of £244 per month for the first kid, and £120 per month for the second and third children under the age of 16. (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship; other conditions also apply)
- Provided you have children but no spouse, you are entitled to a child allowance of £485 per month for the first kid and £120 per month for the second and third children under the age of 16 if they live with you at the same residence in the UK.
- If you declare a handicap, the CSC will conduct a comprehensive evaluation of your requirements and determine if you are eligible for extra financial assistance.
If you declare a handicap, the CSC will conduct a comprehensive evaluation of your requirements and determine if you are eligible for extra financial assistance.
Tenure and location
The CSC has a part-funding arrangement with any authorized UK university or higher education institution with whom the CSC has a part-funding agreement for a particular research program for 36 months of full-time study only (as stated before).
The funding will not be extended to allow applicants to finish a qualification that is in addition to or greater than the one for which they were chosen. Only full-time study is eligible for awards, and no other course of study may be pursued at the same time.
How to apply for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships – 2022
The CSC does not accept direct applications for these scholarships, therefore you must first apply to one of the following nominating bodies:
- The primary method of application is via national nominating agencies.
- Selected universities/university organizations that have the authority to appoint their own academic staff.
- Selected non-governmental and charity organizations.
Each nominating organization is in charge of its own selection procedure, which may include extra qualifying requirements. Check with your nominating body for particular application guidance and regulations, as well as their own qualifying requirements and application deadlines.
In addition to any additional applications needed by your nominating authority, you must submit your application via the CSC’s online application system. Any applications that are not submitted via the CSC’s online application system will be rejected.
For the academic year 2022/23, applications for Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for least developed countries and fragile nations) will begin on September 20, 2021, and conclude on November 1, 2021. The deadline for submitting supporting documents is November 22, 2021. The deadline for nominations is December 22, 2021.
Because the online application system will be very active in the days leading up to the application deadline, you should complete and submit your application as soon as possible.
- 01 November 2021
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2022/2023