For the academic year 2022/23, the University of Bonn is accepting applications for the Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral Candidates from Developing Countries in Germany.
The scholarship’s goal is to help PhD students from the Global South get support for their studies. This aims to foster scientific interchange with partners, especially in places where scientific output has been somewhat suppressed.
The university is specifically inviting PhD candidates from Africa, South America, and Asia to join in order to foster international collaboration in the key areas identified in the partnership plan. The financing will be available for a minimum of three months and a maximum of twelve months.
This grant line aims to boost partnerships between Bonn scientists and their counterparts in the aforementioned locations. It also aspires to extend similar relationships in the area of early-career researcher advancement.
A formal or informal collaboration agreement between the doctorate candidate’s home institution and the host institute in Bonn should already exist when the application is submitted. The Bonn researchers who are hosting the event serve as applicants.
Worth of Scholarship
The money may be used to pay for the following: A
- Allowance for travel (depending on country of origin).
- € 1,500 per month scholarship (extra money for accompanying family members: up to € 300 for a spouse and € 250 for each kid).
- After the scholarship has been granted, you may submit a research expenditure allowance of up to € 300 per month to the International Office. Your scholarship award will include instructions on how to apply for the allowance.
- The scholarship does not cover insurance benefits, and the International Office is unable to offer to lodge for award winners.
Requirements for the Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral Candidates
PhD applicants obtaining a doctoral degree at a university or research institution in one of the aforementioned countries are given priority. Doctoral applicants who are currently enrolled at the University of Bonn for their PhD are not eligible for financing.
The Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral Candidates have the following selection criteria:
- Throughout the candidate’s time in Bonn, the quality of the research project to be conducted as part of the doctorate studies
- The degree of current collaboration or the possibility for future expansion between the applicant and the PhD candidate’s home institution.
- Integration of a PhD applicant into a Bonn research environment that already exists (e.g. integration into a BIGS workgroup, etc.; use of a workplace, etc).
- Under the partnership agreement, there is a framework for effective oversight.
How to Apply for the Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral Candidates
- Online form
- Description of the project (maximum of 8 pages in PDF):
a. A description of the research project that will be undertaken during the person’s stay in Bonn.
b. The host’s reasons for inviting the PhD candidate
c. An idea of how the doctorate candidate will be incorporated into the host institution (workplace, involvement in teaching, and research activities), as well as an outline of how the project will be overseen in Bonn.
- The PhD candidate’s curriculum vitae and motivating letter (PDF)
- A financial strategy. Please keep in mind the guidelines in the financing plan when calculating expenses.
Deadline for submissions: May 31, 2022.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Scholarships 2022-2023
- Leventis Foundation Masters Scholarships (2022/2023)
- Development Trust Africa Scholarships for Masters at Loughborough University in UK 2022
- Surgery Online Global Scholarships at University of Edinburgh in UK 2022
- Vice Chancellor’s International High Achievers Scholarships at CDU in Australia 2022
- Developing Solutions Masters Scholarships at University of Nottingham 2022/23
- Top 7 Italy Scholarships Without IELTS [Fully Funded]
- Fully Funded Trinity College Dublin Grattan Scholarships for International Students
- Independent Artist Scholarships At Musician Institute, USA (2022)
- Fully-funded Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals 2022